Friday 5 October 2012

Interview - Mike Schiemer: Return of the Frugal Fitness Guru


So nice, we had to interview him twice. Yes, Mike "Frugal Fitness" Schiemer is back on The Heartthrob Hero. Our first repeat interviewee. We've been a fan of the hunky on-line fitness guru for quite some time and he's always been awesome to deal with. When he was pitched the idea of doing a follow-up interview, he was stoked! This time around we discuss his Unbiased Reviews series on his YouTube channel, tips for staying in shape during the colder months and what he thinks his best feature is.


1. There seems to be a big focus now on your Frugal Cooking videos and your Frugal Recipes. Not only does everything look delicious, but it always seems like you are having a lot of fun. Have you always had a flair for cooking? Has your cooking been a hit with the ladies?

Mike: "I've definitely been working to bolster the Frugal Cooking videos because eating healthy and on a budget is so important to achieving your fitness goals. The recipes always come out great and I have a blast with whoever I'm working with. I've had some great cooks work with me so far including Jon A, Amanda Santucci, and Melissa McKenzie. I've never been that great of a cook to be honest, my guests do most of the skilled work and I just talk about nutrition or crack jokes haha. I am usually so busy, on the go, or tired/lazy that I don't do a ton of cooking regularly but that needs to change. I've gotten some great feedback from men and women on the videos. More Frugal Feasts to come!"

2. There are always new products and supplements being introduced on the market which can seem daunting to people just getting into working out and being healthy. What has been the response to your unbiased review videos?

Mike: "You're right, there are a TON of supplements out there and more entering the marketplace every month. I've gotten a pretty good response from my "Unbiased Supplement Review" video playlist because viewers appreciate that my opinion is not being bought by any company. These review videos are based only on my scientific and personal knowledge of the product vs. comparable products. However, as with all YouTube videos, there are always clowns out there that love to troll and comment that they know more than I do or that I am full of it. Usually these critics are either 14 year old boys, angry men, or a roid-raging bodybuilder that complains I am too skinny and wimpy. But it's all good and I will keep doing these unbiased review videos for a long time!"


3. What can you tell us about being in the FitFluential network? 

Mike: "Being a FitFluential Ambassador has been a fantastic experience. They accept only the most talented and dedicated health, fitness, and food bloggers and vloggers and it is an honor to be a part of the organization. I've met some really great people and been given some excellent opportunities to improve my business and work with great companies that I love."

Check out more the interview and more great pics after the break!




4. As we've just moved into the Fall (on this hemisphere anyway), what tips would you give for people to stay motivated to get in shape as the days get shorter and the weather gets colder? 

Mike: "As the days get shorter and weather gets colder, people need to make fitness and healthy eating even more of a priority than ever before. I suggest working out first thing in the morning so you don't wimp out later, or at least doing some walking and stretching during your lunch break. It's crucial to stay moving during fall and winter because a lot of junk food comes out as well and if you choose to indulge you don't want to leave it unchecked. Get a workout buddy, join a workout group, or take a workout class to help keep you consistent and accountable."

5. You've got some pretty cool ink. What are the stories behind your tattoos? 

Mike: "Why thank you! I've got 3 tattoos currently, one on each shoulder and one on my back. The black sun design on the left shoulder actually has a little to do with the last question. I was diagnosed with seasonal affective disorder a while back which causes a person to have lower energy and more depression as the days get shorter, colder, and darker. So I thought a black sun design would be fitting. The tattoo on my right shoulder is a ninja star design used by my favorite band Metallica. Although they haven't made any good music in over a decade, I can really relate to their older music and the themes of rage, isolation, loneliness, depression, and despair. The symbol on my upper / middle back is a tribal phoenix design, which to me symbolizes rebirth and regeneration. I got it most recently to commemorate my fitness business revival and beginning life anew sober (been over 9 months as I'm writing this). Not sure if I have any other plans for more tattoos down the road, probably not anytime soon though!"


6. Now, we've always wondered, how good of an exercise is sex? Are there any particular exercises that can help with doing the deed? 

Mike: "Great question! Sex can be an excellent workout or it can be almost a negligible workout, all depends on how you do it and for how long. I'll leave the details to your imagination but obviously many factors can come into play. Specific exercises that can improve sexual performance are planks, squats, hip bridges, rows, hip circles, leg raises, and pretty much any other core exercise. Almost all exercise helps though and it's very important to have good overall cardio. It's not too sexy if you are wheezing halfway through..."

7. What do you consider to be your sexiest feature? What do your fans consider to be your sexiest feature? 

Mike: "That's a toughy, I would have to say glutes are my best ASSet (har har). At least in my mind. And they help out with the previous question! I think most viewers and readers appreciate my arms or chest the most these days, abs sometimes depending on how good of shape I'm in haha."


8. You're a personal trainer, author and the CEO of Frugal Fitness, when will we get to see more of Mike Schiemer the model? With your large gay following, you surely must get asked that all the time. 

Mike: "Hopefully soon! I have some new pictures taken for Instagram by my webcam and my phone but I haven't done much work trying to get new photographs taken professionally. I've been so busy with other aspects of Frugal Fitness but I will let you know as soon as I get some updated ones up! In the meantime I may be posting some older pictures that haven't been posted before but with professional quality."


Random Rapid Fire Questions.

1. Best birthday gift you've received? Thousand bucks to help pay off student loans.
2. Item you never leave home without? Cell phone, keys, wallet, chapstick, cross around my neck.
3. Cologne of choice? Polo Sport and Giorgio Armani Acqua Di Gio (both gifts, I'm too cheap to buy on my own haha).
4. What do you get nerdy about? I get nerdy about Star Wars, old video games, social media, fitness, and South Park.
5. Best pick-up line? I got no pick-up lines, I just ask a girl if they want to grab coffee sometime or come over and meet my cat Chewie haha. Simple yet effective!
6. Hidden talent? I can still pull off a few gymnastics moves and I know a decent amount of Spanish, which has entertained many of my Latino clients over the years.
7. Best thing about living a Frugal Fitness lifestyle? The Frugal Fitness Lifestyle teaches you to appreciate the simple things, get creative, make use of what you have, and not to get spoiled with extras. It's a no-risk lifestyle with a lot to gain.

Big thanks again to Mike for another fantastic interview. Again, be sure to follow him on Twitter @MikeSchiemer and check out the Frugal Fitness Youtube Channel: http://youtube.com/MyFrugalFitness and the Frugal Fitness website: http://MyFrugalFitness.com.






No comments:

Post a Comment